Each age group participant shall be permitted to wear a wetsuit without penalty in any event sanctioned by USA Triathlon up to and including a water temperature of 78 degrees Fahrenheit. When the water temperature is greater than 78 degrees, but less than 84 degrees Fahrenheit, age group participants may wear a wet suit at their own discretion, provided however that participants who wear a wet suit within this temperature range shall not be eligible for prizes or awards. Age group participants shall not wear wet suits in water temperatures equal to or greater than 84 degrees Fahrenheit. The wetsuit policy for elite athletes shall be determined by the USAT Athletes Advisory Council. The AAC has set the wetsuit maximum temperature for elite/pros at 68 degrees for swim distances less than 3000 meters and 71.6 degrees for distances of 3000 meters or greater.
Effective January 1, 2013, any swimmer wearing a wetsuit with a thickness measured in any part greater than 5 millimeters shall be disqualified.
- Wearing swim goggles or a face mask is recommended, but optional
- No fins, paddles, or flotation devices of any kind allowed
- Timing Chips must be properly affixed on your ankle
- No individual paddlers or escorts allowed. Course will be adequately patrolled by surfboards, kayaks and patrol boats.
- Please do not apply sunscreen or Vaseline to areas bearing your race number prior to numbering. Numbers must remain on during the swim.
- Time penalties may be imposed on athletes not behind the official start line 5 minutes prior to race start.
- Swimmers are required to stay on course, swim clockwise and keep turn buoys on their right. Failure to do so may result in disqualification.
- If you require assistance in the swim you are able to hold on to any kayak as long as you do not make forward progression. If you are unable to finish the swim or need immediate assistance please remove your swim cap and wave it in the air until a boat or lifeguard is by your side.
- Each Swimmer must wear the colored swim cap provided by the Director.