These past couple of weeks have been overwhelming. After racing Rev3 Quassy in the first week of June, I flew back to Arizona and began packing for the big trip back to Boulder, Colorado, where I spend my summers. After a full ten-hours of flying (I took the cheap multi-stop route), the lack of sleep, the excess of adrenaline from the race, and driving over 900 miles to Boulder, I feel like I’ve fallen over the edge. Training time has virtually been nil the last ten days. But, despite all the chaos, I’ve actually enjoyed the time off. I basically have four major “rest blocks” this year and this was number three! My next one isn’t for a while, unfortunately! And my next race, if all goes right in the interim, is the Texas 70.3 in Lubbock…next weekend.

A few words about the Rev3 race in Quassy:

I signed up for this race last year but never got a chance to compete because of nagging niggles in my lower legs. In hindsight, knowing the race like I do now, I can honestly say I wasn’t ready for it then. I was barely ready this year!

With the reigning Ironman World Champ (Mirinda Carfrae), the reigning X-Terra World Champ (Julie Dibens), and a whole host of other competitors, Quassy was turning out to be a mini-World Championship. And that it was! The field went 30+ deep on the women’s side and the talent was deep. I really had no idea how I was going to do, but then that’s why we race! It’s a strange job you keep when you really don’t know how you’ll perform!

Anyhow, in Connecticut, I was adopted by my host family, the Barton’s, and was treated as a long-lost family member. Andy Barton, who competed last year, was ready for the battle. When I asked him about the course he looked at me seriously, “Even the swim is uphill!”

The water temperature was a balmy 68 degrees, which called for a non-wetsuit ruling for the pro field. The air temperature was a similar 68 degrees so I began freezing from the first swim stroke, putting myself in survivor-mode for the remainder of the swim, trying not to hyperventilate. I tried not too anyway.

Crawling out of the water, my body had no feeling. A few girls ahead of me had already dropped out. I seriously entertained the idea of joining them. The first half of the bike had me literally convulsing and shivering. My legs would hardly move and the initial descents didn’t help at all, when speeds were in excess of 30mph. Never mind the windchill.

I kept telling myself, “everyone has to be feeling this way, so keep moving.” After an hour or so, I was finally able to use my hands to grab some water. It was a rough ride, to say the least. My fingers hurt even thinking back to it.

I came into T2 alongside the reigning Ironman World Champ, Mirinda Carfrae, who I’d caught at mile 48. I didn’t have much fight on the bike (coach later wrote about the conditions: “The body chooses self-preservation over performance…”), so I kept it steady and decided to try and ingest the calories I had missed out on during the ride.

Surprisingly, by the time the run came around I had good legs. I had four girls right behind me for the bulk of the run, but was able to put the afterburners on late and held on to a podium spot, behind Julie and Mirinda.

I’ll definitely be back for this one. Rev3 does it right and I strongly suggest checking their races out, whether as a sponsor or a competitor. Charlie Patten is a one-of-a-kind race director and I want to thank my friend Sonja for all that she does at the Rev3 races. The entire crew puts on a world-class event, period.


We had great post-race food and the festivities reminded me of what the sport is supposed to be like! I can’t wait to head out to my next Rev3 race in Portland, Oregon. I had been signed up for the Boulder Peak Triathlon, just two miles from where I reside, and falling on the same day (July 11th), but now it’s all about Rev3 for me!














To read more about Angela, check out

Or follow her on twitter @tri3angela